HUNT Real Estate is a proud family-owned company that has embraced the changing times as we continue to define what being “Always There For You” truly means.
Here’s our story:
Today’s HUNT Real Estate corporation was founded as HUNT Business Agency by Charles Stanley Hunt in 1911. Our new company was based out of the Palace Arcade in downtown Buffalo and specialized in commercial real estate – particularly the sale of moving picture theaters. In 1920, in keeping with our Western New York roots, we relocated to the Brisbane Building downtown and a new era of business began.
After World War II ended, Charles Stanley Hunt’s two sons, C. Stuart and Myron M., joined the family business. As the entire nation turned to fulfill the American Dream of white-picket fences and raising a family outside of the city, HUNT followed suit.
Our company began shifting the focus to residential real estate and opened our first suburban branch on Delaware Avenue in Kenmore in 1948. With our new community came a new era of success: offices were subsequently established in Hamburg, Williamsville, Orchard Park, and Amherst.
We found a new place to call home in 1955 at our headquarters on W. Huron Street, which allowed us to flourish in new ways. Three years later, in 1958, we were officially incorporated as HUNT Real Estate Corporation.
The 80s and 90s at HUNT Real Estate were defined as decades of pure growth. In 1984, HUNT’s first subsidiary was created, known today as HUNT Mortgage. Our in-house title agency, Network Title Agency of New York, was then acquired in 1993.
During this time, the country embarked on a telecommunications revolution, and we reacted in tandem. In 1986, HUNT became only the second American company to produce a program-length show to televise residential real estate listings. Soon after, we opened the nation’s first real estate information center, which was a telemarketing center for homebuyers to access property data on HUNT listings. As more homeowners tried to market on their own, we kept up by launching Realty Express in 1996, an alternative to the traditional real estate model that allows sellers to access multiple listing services and advertising platforms for a flat fee.
As HUNT moved into its second century of doing business, we looked to extend our reach geographically. Our presence was first established in the Rochester region in 2001, then farther East in 2003 in the Syracuse market. 2003 became a milestone year for yet another reason as our sales volume passed $1 billion for the first time in our company’s history.
Focusing on expanding our influence nationally, we created an alliance with ERA, the nation’s fastest-growing real estate franchise, in 2002 and saw the rewards almost immediately: branches in Arizona and Albany followed over the course of the next decade. Peter F. Hunt was named our Chairman and CEO in 2005, a position he still holds today. Charles F. Hunt, who represents the fourth generation of the Hunt family, joined us in 2007. And perhaps most notably, HUNT Real Estate Corporation celebrated its 100th year in business in 2011.
Filling the big footsteps of our landmark year, we continued to grow still. In 2015, we expanded into the Southern Tier by opening offices in Hornell and Alfred, NY, followed by 2016’s establishments of our Lake George in the Adirondacks.
Each year added onto the prosperity of the next. In 2018, we completed our largest acquisition yet with ERA Key Realty Services, allowing us to seamlessly enter the Massachusetts market with 15 offices and nearly $800 million in sales volume.
As we look to the years ahead, we honor our history as a reminder of our humble beginnings and our continued perseverance. We remember who we are and who we’ve always been, while continuing to expand our presence throughout New York State and beyond.